First off, excuse the graininess of the photo, taken off my phone. Also, I know it looks like the emblem is reversed and the eskrima sticks are on the wrong leg, but it's only because I was too lazy to flip the image after taking it in a mirror.
After the awesome experience of PMX (Best Presentation at CosFest, Iron Cosplay winner, meeting Dante "Rufio" Basco and getting my cousin's Pan sword signed) in November, I got back to work on an in-progress cosplay, Young Justice Nightwing! I had originally started it in July, shortly after moving into my apartment, but it had taken a back seat to Rufio prior to Halloween, and so I used the opportunity to continue working on it, to be debuted at Anime LA 2013 in Los Angeles during the first weekend of January. For now, here's a full suit up WIP picture.
- Base is (you guessed it) a compression top and compression tights. I like working with sportswear since it gives me a solid colored base suit to work with, it's easier to put on or remove than a one piece bodysuit, and it's specifically made to be used for activity, allowing for dynamic posing and action shots. The downside is I'm limited to black or white usually. The top is actually the second top I used, as the first had no collar, and the grey panel got snagged while working on it and ripped. The second top (this one), while looser than the first top, has a mock turtleneck, and is lined with a fleece-like material to be warmer.
- Grey spandex was used for the collar, the panels on the abdomen, the insides of the elbows, and the backs of the knees. Grey trim was added to the thighs. The emblem is craft foam.
- Boots are the jika-tabi boots I used for YJ Robin back at SacAnime Summer 2011. I've painted the soles of the boots to better match the cartoon.
- Gloves were $1.50 at Daiso (love that place, you can get lots of useful stuff for $1.50), with painted craft foam details for the glove "pouches" and the knuckles.
- The main utility belt was originally an old camera strap (free), which I cut down to size. The pouches are camera/cellphone pouches from Daiso (8 x $1.50). Gotta love utility belts, I should be able to carry everything I need: wallet, phone, camera, keys, business cards, etc
- Eskrima sticks are 1/2" PVC, sprayed with gloss black. Holster is made from some nylon strapping, 2 parachute buckles, and the side of a nylon toy bag.
- Shoulder armor is made from the plastic caps of two knee pads from a thrift store, covered in black spandex. They attach via velcro.
- Mask (not pictured), was made with liquid latex mixed with black acrylic paint. I laid the latex in layers on the inside of a white plastic mask until it was sufficiently thick. I then peeled it out and cut to shape.
I've also got a Secret Cosplay to debut at ALA as well, I'll be keeping that a secret until the con (or maybe just before it
). I'll also be bringing Rufio (always a crowd-pleaser) and Tuxedo Solid Snake (can't shake my MGS fix, haha) to ALA, so look for me if you're going!
See more at my facebook fanpage![link]